Posts for category: Health Care
How your doctors in Saint Croix and Saint Thomas can help you stay healthy
If you have heart disease, you already know how dramatically it can affect your life. Problems with your heart can keep you from enjoying the activities of your life. Fortunately, you can do a lot to prevent heart disease and keep your heart healthy. Furthermore, with two convenient office locations in Saint Croix and Saint Thomas, Dr. Ahmet Sayan of Virgin Islands Orthopaedics & Medical Specialists can help.
You may not know that you have heart issues, because they often sneak up on patients. In fact, high blood pressure has been called the “silent killer” because there are few or no symptoms associated with it. This is why regular physicals and examinations by your doctor are so important. By performing examinations and recommending lab testing, high blood pressure and high cholesterol can be identified early, before they can do damage to your heart.
Regular medical care is an important part of living a heart-healthy lifestyle, and the other important part is what you do when you are not at the doctor. To live a heart-healthy lifestyle, you must:
- Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes most days of the week. Your exercise routine needs to including aerobic exercises like jogging or swimming to get your heart pumping.
- Manage stress by using relaxation techniques including meditation and yoga
- Eat a heart-healthy diet including lean meats, vegetables, fruits, and non-fat or low-fat dairy products.
- Avoid fried, fatty foods and limit your salt intake.
- Maintain a healthy weight. It helps to eat foods high in fiber so that you feel full for longer. Also, make sure that what you eat is high in the nutrients that your body needs,
- Keep a healthy smile by regularly brushing and flossing. When your mouth is healthy, it lowers your risk of some serious diseases, including endocarditis and heart disease.
To learn more about maintaining heart health, talk with an expert: call Dr. Ahmet Sayan of Virgin Islands Orthopaedics & Medical Specialists. You can reach him in Saint Croix at (340) 692-5000, or at his office in Saint Thomas at (340) 714-2845. Call today!