There are several preventative measures when caring for your health. Smart dietary choices can make a difference. At Virgin Island Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists in St. Croix or St. Thomas, Dr. Jeffrey Chase and Dr. Ahmet Sayan offer patients the knowledge they need to improve their health through smart nutritional decisions.
A healthy eating pattern is a lifestyle choice. Follow a healthy eating pattern by making smart food and beverage choices. Choose an appropriate calorie level to help achieve healthy body weight, meet their nutritional needs, and decrease chances of chronic disease. Here's a dietary guideline you can follow:
- Focus on a variety of food to help you meet the required nutrient needs within the calorie limits.
- Limit sugars, saturated fats, and sodium, like soda and candy.
- Opt for healthier food and beverage choices, like nuts and water.
Here Are Some Quick Tips
The specialists at St. Croix and St. Thomas advise you to write down what and how much you eat every day to help you keep track of daily calories and healthy choices.
Make healthy food shifts as well:
- Go from chips to carrots
- Go from protein bars to peaches
- Go from bread to whole grains
- Go from cookies to nuts
You can also make healthy beverage shifts as well:
- Go from regular cola to soda/flavored water
- Go from coffee with milk to coffee with fat-free milk
What's the appropriate caloric intake for each person?
Each person's caloric needs vary but there are general guidelines you can follow.
- Not physically active: 1,600
- Moderately active: 1,800
- Active: 2,000-2,200
- Not physically active: 2,000-2,200
- Moderately active: 2,200-2,400
- Active: 2,400-2,800
Do you need a consultation?
To learn more about proper dietary choices from Virgin Island Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists in St. Croix or St. Thomas, call our St. Thomas office at (340) 714-2845 and St. Croix at (340) 692-5000.