Activities we love -- like sports -- can be the highlight of our lives, but often that means we sustain injuries doing those things. The care team at Virgin Island Orthopedics and Medical Specialists understands this and endeavors to bring you quality care while you recover from your sports injury. Just talk to Drs. Jeffrey Chase and Ahmet Sayan at our St. Croix or St. Thomas locations.
Some tips for recovery
- Experts at Harvard Medical school encourage prevention as the best defense from a sports injury. Wearing headgear, mouthguards, goggles, or anything else that is required for your particular sport should be your number one priority.
- Wear your braces if you need and have them. Injuries often leave tissues stretched or torn, and braces allow stability in the injured area without allowing the body to move too much.
- Get plenty of rest. Taking it easy and even including naps during the day help the body recover faster than requiring the body to perform on a sleep deficit.
- Hydrate your body. Drinking enough water allows more cushioning through the joints and helps to reduce swelling in damaged muscle tissue.
- Take it easy. Do not try to do too many things, especially when you’ve first injured yourself. Moving the body part may cause tenderness or outright pain. If this is the case, stop the activity and try again at another time.
- Ice the damage. Ice helps to stave off swelling, heat, and pain that can make the site of injury feel worse.
- Keep an open mind and an optimistic perspective. Working with your practitioner means communication and consistency. There may be exercises that are harder than others or routines that are harder to stick with, but when your body is fully healed, you will be happy to have done them.
Another great way to recover from a sports injury is physical therapy at Virgin Island Orthopedics and Medical Specialists. Contact Drs. Jeffrey Chase and Ahmet Sayan in St. Thomas (340) 714-2845 and St. Croix at (340) 692-5000 to schedule an appointment.