If you are having chronic pain, the professionals at Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine in St.Thomas, and St. Croix, are dedicated to helping patients manage chronic conditions and find relief from pain.
Everyone experiences physical pain at times, but chronic pain is defined as persistent pain that continues for six months or longer. Chronic pain interferes with your daily activities and can lead to depression and affect all other areas of your life. If you've never seen a doctor about your pain, it's important to be diagnosed so we can target the source of your pain with a treatment plan. Come see us in St.Thomas, and St. Croix, to get your pain under control.
In many cases, chronic pain can occur after an initial injury, or because of disease. But in some cases, a patient experiences chronic pain without an injury. The following are examples of diseases that can cause chronic pain:
- Fibromyalgia causes pain in the bones and muscles throughout the body
- Arthritis causes painful inflammation of the joints, either in one joint or throughout the body
- TMJ causes painful locking, popping, and clicking of the jaw
- Inflammatory bowel disease describes a few different conditions that cause pain and chronic inflammation of the digestive tract.
- Endometriosis causes pain when the uterine lining grows outside the uterus
- Chronic fatigue syndrome causes prolonged weariness and often includes chronic pain
These are just some examples of causes of chronic pain. Even normal aging that affects the joints and bones can be a source of chronic pain. The source of your chronic pain is likely unique or a combination of factors. Seeing someone that can help diagnose and pinpoint the causes of your pain can only help develop a treatment plan suited to find you relief.
Chronic pain can be managed and it doesn't have to take over your life. Contact us for an appointment in St. Thomas at (340) 714-2845, and in St. Croix at (340) 692-5000.