Your best self stems from a healthy lifestyle—one that includes proper dietary habits and regular exercise. Additionally, you must pay attention to what your body may be telling you. For instance, if you have chest pain, you should contact Dr. Ahmet Sayan, your cardiologist at Virgin Islands Orthopaedics & Medical Specialists, to learn what the cause may be.
Is is a heart attack?
Medical News Today reports that about a million Americans have a heart attack every year. Accordingly, always seek help if you have symptoms of:
- Chest pain that spreads to the jaw, back, and shoulder
- Shortness of breath
- Fast respirations
- Extreme fatigue
- Rapid pulse
- Lightheaded feeling
The American Heart Association advises that anyone experiencing acute chest pain and any number of the above symptoms should call 911 immediately for emergency care by a paramedic and transport to the nearest hospital. Dr. Sayan and his team at Virgin Island Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists provide the best in after-hospital care for cardiovascular events and ongoing issues.
Is it something else?
Your body is complex, and chest pain symptoms may not be cardiac in nature. However, whatever the origin, your symptoms should be reported and investigated. Possible causes could be:
- Broken ribs, collapsed lung, or strained rib cage muscles after a fall
- GERD (acid reflux), stomach ulcers or pancreatitis
- Issues involving the lining and function of the esophagus (food pipe)
- Panic attacks
- Hiatal hernia (protrusion of the stomach through the diaphragm)
- Pneumonia and secondary pleurisy (inflammation of the sac around the lungs)
- Angina (pain related to the narrowed blood vessels of cardiovascular disease)
- Myocarditis (inflammation of the cardiac muscle)
Remember that sudden onset chest pain is almost always dangerous and concerning. So, if this happens to you, go to the nearest hospital ER for evaluation.
At Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists...
Expect prompt, kind, care with the latest in diagnostic testing and techniques. Dr. Sayan is our in-house cardiologist, and Dr. Jeffrey Chase is our orthopaedic surgeon. We look after patients of all ages and deliver on-site PT and imaging. Contact one of our two offices for a consultation. For St. Thomas, phone (340) 714-2845, and for St. Croix, dial (340) 692-5000.