Who Needs a Rheumatologist?
By Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
December 14, 2020
Category: Health Care
Tags: Rheumatologist  

At Virgin Island Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists, Dr. Mary Olsen of St. Croix and St. Thomas, in the Virgin Islands offer patients the care they need. They offer patients a rheumatologist to diagnose and treat rheumatic diseases.

What are rheumatic diseases?

Rheumatic diseases are musculoskeletal disease and systemic autoimmune conditions. An internist or pediatrician has extensive training in the diagnosis and treatment of rheumatic diseases. These diseases affect joints, muscles, and bones, which cause pain, swelling, stiffness, and deformity.

Who needs a rheumatologist?

A rheumatologist treats more than 120 different diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, and other muscle or bone problems that impact joints and limit mobility or function.

A rheumatologist also treats:

  • chronic back pain
  • neck pain
  • muscle or tendon problems (tennis elbow or Achilles’ tendonitis)
  • osteoporosis
  • fibromyalgia
  • Lyme disease.

Rheumatologists don't operate but are involved before and after your operation. If your primary care physician can't make sense of your symptoms, a rheumatologist is called in to diagnose and treat rare medical conditions.

When should you see a rheumatologist?

Don't put off seeing your doctor if the pain isn't too bad or because you're afraid of taking medicine for whatever reason. You need a rheumatologist if you feel pain...

  • in joints that don’t get better
  • that involves multiple joints

Also, see a rheumatologist if you...

  • close relatives suffer from lupus or rheumatoid arthritis
  • relatives have inflammatory disorders in general
  • have relatives with psoriasis or arthritis
  • have symptoms of fever, overwhelming fatigue, weight loss, or malaise

Do you need a rheumatologist?

To learn more from the rheumatologists of Virgin Island Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists in St. Croix and St. Thomas, call our office in St. Thomas at (340) 714-2845 and St. Croix at (340) 692-5000.