Chronic pain makes every aspect of your life less enjoyable. Luckily, your St. Thomas and St. Croix orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Jeffrey Chase of Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, offers pain management treatments that may help relieve your pain.
What pain relief options are available?
Treatment of your pain depends on your injury or condition but may include one or more of these therapies:
- Pain Medication: Medication can be very helpful in decreasing pain. Prescription or non-prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications may be useful in controlling chronic pain. These drugs not only tackle pain but also relieve swelling and stiffness in your joints.
- Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids, whether in pill or injectable form, can be helpful if pain medication alone doesn't improve your painful symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy sessions help you stretch and strengthen the muscles that support your joints. Treatments can help relieve pain and improve range of motion and flexibility. Physical therapy may also be recommended as part of a post-surgical recovery plan.
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESW): ESW can be helpful if you have tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, tennis elbow, or another condition that affects your tendon. Low-dose sound waves applied to your body decrease pain and promote quicker healing.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Treatment: This innovative therapy uses platelets from your blood to boost your body's healing capacity. The treatment is often used to treat sprains, fractures, back pain, tendonitis, arthritis, and other conditions that affect the joints, muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
- Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection: Your St. Thomas or St. Croix orthopedic surgeon injects a combination of a steroid and anesthetic in your spine around the nerve root to relieve lower back pain and pain that travels from your back to your legs.
- Surgery: Although surgery is only used when other treatment methods don't relieve your pain, it can be very helpful. Surgery may be used to replace damaged or worn joints, repair torn ligaments and tendons, fuse vertebrae, or treat fractures. In many cases, your orthopedic surgeon may be able to use minimally invasive surgical techniques to perform your surgery.
Are you tired of dealing with constant pain? Schedule an appointment with your orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Jeffrey Chase of Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, by calling (340) 714-2845 for the St. Thomas office or (340) 692-5000 for the St. Croix office.