Posts for tag: Heart Attack
How do you know you are at risk for a heart attack?
Cardiologist Dr. Ahmet Sayan of DBA Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists, can identify subtle signs that may indicate heart issues and recommends treatment options at his St. Thomas and St. Croix office.
When should you visit your cardiologist in St. Thomas and St. Croix and when are you at risk for a heart attack?
- If you're experiencing chest pain or discomfort, then you may want to speak with your doctor. Chest pain mimics heartburn, noticeable during exercise and severe chest pain may result in nausea, vomiting, pain that extends to your arms, jaw, neck, or shoulders. Call 911 immediately if you have these symptoms.
- Feeling fatigued, especially during the workweek or due to a recent illness, may make you feel more tired. Visit your cardiologist if you feel very tired, weak, or dizzy for no obvious reason.
- If you have a family history of heart disease, your cardiologist needs to evaluate your heart disease risk.
- Contact your cardiologist if you suffer from certain chronic health conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease, and high cholesterol.
- Smokers have an increased risk of developing cancer and heart disease.
- If you start noticing shortness of breath or palpitations, this can be a sign of several heart conditions.
More About Chronic Diseases:
High Blood Pressure: As mentioned above, if you suffer from long-term high blood pressure, contact your cardiologist for specific prescription medication to lower your blood pressure.
Heart Palpitations: This leads to shortness of breath, dizziness, or anxiety, especially if the heart palpitations occur regularly.
High Cholesterol: This condition leads to arteriel plaque buildup which increases the risk of heart attack. Medicine, regular exercise and a healthy diet can keep cholesterol under control.
If it’s time to schedule a cardiologist, then call DBA Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists in St. Thomas and St. Croix today!