Posts for tag: Sports Injury
Activities we love -- like sports -- can be the highlight of our lives, but often that means we sustain injuries doing those things. The care team at Virgin Island Orthopedics and Medical Specialists understands this and endeavors to bring you quality care while you recover from your sports injury. Just talk to Drs. Jeffrey Chase and Ahmet Sayan at our St. Croix or St. Thomas locations.
Some tips for recovery
- Experts at Harvard Medical school encourage prevention as the best defense from a sports injury. Wearing headgear, mouthguards, goggles, or anything else that is required for your particular sport should be your number one priority.
- Wear your braces if you need and have them. Injuries often leave tissues stretched or torn, and braces allow stability in the injured area without allowing the body to move too much.
- Get plenty of rest. Taking it easy and even including naps during the day help the body recover faster than requiring the body to perform on a sleep deficit.
- Hydrate your body. Drinking enough water allows more cushioning through the joints and helps to reduce swelling in damaged muscle tissue.
- Take it easy. Do not try to do too many things, especially when you’ve first injured yourself. Moving the body part may cause tenderness or outright pain. If this is the case, stop the activity and try again at another time.
- Ice the damage. Ice helps to stave off swelling, heat, and pain that can make the site of injury feel worse.
- Keep an open mind and an optimistic perspective. Working with your practitioner means communication and consistency. There may be exercises that are harder than others or routines that are harder to stick with, but when your body is fully healed, you will be happy to have done them.
Another great way to recover from a sports injury is physical therapy at Virgin Island Orthopedics and Medical Specialists. Contact Drs. Jeffrey Chase and Ahmet Sayan in St. Thomas (340) 714-2845 and St. Croix at (340) 692-5000 to schedule an appointment.
Find out how we can help you on your road to recovery after a musculoskeletal injury.
If you are dealing with an injury that has affected the soft tissue, joints, muscles or bones then you could benefit from turning to our medical team here in Saint Thomas and Christiansted, Virgin Islands. Our orthopedic surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Chase can provide on-site orthopedic physical therapy to reduce pain and discomfort while also improving function, movement and flexibility.
Physical therapy is designed to help treat your musculoskeletal condition, no matter whether it affects the muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints or bones. Common injuries that could benefit from turning to our orthopedic specialist Dr. Chase include:
- Strains and sprains
- Overuse injuries
- Sports-related injuries
- Car accidents injuries (e.g. whiplash)
If you are experiencing pain, limited range of motion, stiffness or weakness as a result of your orthopedic injury then the experts at Virgin Island Orthopedics and Medical Specialists can create the ideal rehabilitation program to meet your needs, reduce your symptoms and promote faster healing.
If you’ve recently undergone orthopedic surgery then our medical team may recommend going through physical therapy and post-operative rehab to help you get back to your normal activities and daily routine quicker. Just about any condition or injury that impacts how one or more parts of the musculoskeletal system function can benefit greatly from physical therapy.
There are different modes of physical therapy and we can discuss which ones are right for you based the type and severity of your condition. Common physical therapy modalities include:
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Soft tissue manipulation and massage
- Assistive devices (e.g. cane; crutches)
During physical therapy, we will also provide you with a series of exercises that can help facilitate faster healing while also improving mobility and function. Orthopedic physical therapy focuses on a wide range of different exercises such as balance, stretching, endurance and plyometrics. We can also show you different exercises that you can easily incorporate into your daily routine from the comfort of your own home.
If you are dealing with the aftermath of an injury and you want to turn to physical therapy in Saint Thomas, Virgin Islands to get you back on track then it’s time to call Virgin Island Orthopedics and Medical Specialists. We have offices in Saint Thomas and Christiansted to serve you better.