If you are dealing with knee pain, you already know how it can impact your life. Your knees support your weight, help you stay standing, walking, and moving through your life. Knee pain can be debilitating. The doctors at Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine offer comprehensive medical services, including treatment and management of knee pain. They have two convenient office locations in St. Thomas and St. Croix.
What You Need To Know About Knee Pain
You can develop knee pain from an acute injury or trauma to your knee resulting from a sports injury or accident. You can also develop knee pain due to chronic joint conditions like osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
Your knee is complex, comprised of bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles, any of which can experience inflammation or strain from overuse. Aging also can lead to increased stiffness and pain when you try to move your knee. You can take some important steps to help prevent or minimize knee pain. You should:
- Wear appropriate footwear for the activity you are doing
- Wear knee padding if you are playing contact sports or will be on your knees for an extended period of time
- Maintain a healthy weight to prevent knee stress
For knee pain that continues or is increasing, you should seek out the services of your doctor. Treatment begins with a full examination of your knee. Your doctor may recommend imaging studies including x-rays, an MRI, arthrogram, and other tests. After a complete diagnostic workup, your doctor may recommend:
- Physical therapy, exercises, and stretching to build strength and increase flexibility
- Hyaluronic acid injections to increase joint health and cushion the knee joint
- Wearing a walking cast or brace to help support your knees
- Taking anti-inflammatory and pain medication to decrease swelling and pain
- Placing ice packs or moist heat on your knee to decrease swelling
In severe cases, surgery may be indicated to repair areas of the knee, including meniscus or ligament surgery. Knee replacement may also be indicated in cases of severe joint destruction.
Want To Know More?
To discover more about the causes, management, and treatment of knee pain, call the doctors at Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine. You can reach them in the St. Thomas location by calling (340) 714-2845, or in St. Croix by calling (340) 692-5000, so call today.