How your doctors in Saint Thomas, and St. Croix, can help you get relief from arthritis pain
Arthritis is an uncomfortable, and often crippling disease. There are some things you can do to reduce the negative effects of arthritis, and seeing your doctor is one of the most important.
Dr. Jeffrey Chase, Dr. Mary Olsen, and Dr. Carmen Quinones of Virgin Island Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists offer a wide range of medical services, including arthritis treatment. They have office locations in Saint Thomas, and St. Croix, to help you.
There are different types of arthritis, with different causes:
- Osteoarthritis, which happens as a result of age-related wear-and-tear on your body. The degenerative changes in your bones are often accelerated by repetitive use injuries. The cartilage, which is the tissue cushioning your bones, begins to wear down. Eventually, your bones lose their cushion completely, and you have bone-on-bone contact. When you have osteoarthritis, your joints swell, you feel pain, and you lose mobility and flexibility.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which is caused by an autoimmune response within your body. Your immune system attacks your tissue, causing damage to your joints, tendons, and ligaments. Unlike osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis can affect people of all ages, causing swelling, pain, and joint deformity.
These are just a few of the ways you can help reduce the negative effects of arthritis:
- Avoid high-impact activities which stress your joints; instead try walking, swimming, and other low-impact exercises.
- Stop doing the activities that cause your arthritis pain to increase
- Try to manage your weight, to lessen the stress on your joints
- Take over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling and relieve pain
Your doctor can also help you manage arthritis pain and degenerative changes. Common treatments include:
- Physical therapy and stretching to help maintain flexibility and strength
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
- Lifestyle modification, nutritional counseling, and wellness programs
Living with arthritis doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy life. To find out more about reversing the negative effects of arthritis, call Dr. Jeffrey Chase, Dr. Mary Olsen, and Dr. Carmen Quinones of Virgin Island Orthopaedics and Medical Specialists. You can reach them in Saint Thomas at (340) 714-2845, or in St. Croix at (340) 692-5000, so call today!