How a cardiac stress test from your doctors in Saint Thomas, and St. Croix, VI, can help protect your health.
Your heart keeps you going, so you need to do your best to keep your heart healthy. An important part of keeping your heart healthy is visiting your doctor. There are certain issues which may prompt your doctor to recommend a cardiac stress test.
Cardiologist Dr. Ahmet Sayan at Virgin Islands Orthopaedic & Medical Specialists offers a wide range of medical services, including cardiac stress tests. We have two convenient office locations in St. Thomas and St. Croix, to help you.
So, when do you need a cardiac stress test?
According to the American Heart Association, a cardiac stress test may be indicated to:
- Diagnose the cause of chest pain, dizziness, or breathing problems
- Diagnose coronary artery disease
- Monitor the effectiveness of some procedures to treat coronary artery disease
- Predict the possibility of a heart attack
- Determine a safe level of exercise for you
There are also some important signs and symptoms which may indicate you need a stress test. These include:
- Pressure or a squeezing feeling in your chest
- Chest pain that radiates into your neck, jaws, shoulders, and arms
- Chronic, recurrent chest pain that is getting worse
- Chest pain along with profuse sweating and breathing difficulties
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat or pulse
A cardiac stress test uses equipment which monitors your heart. You will be connected to the equipment by sensors, which will feed information to the testing device.
You will begin to walk on the treadmill, gradually increasing your pace. The treadmill will also be raised to simulate walking on a hill. After the test you will lie down or sit while your blood pressure and heart rate are recorded.
If you have arthritis, leg or foot issues, or difficulty walking, your doctor may ask for a nuclear test. The nuclear test uses medications which increase your heart rate as though you were exercising.
A cardiac stress test is an important tool to help your doctor determine the health of your heart. To learn more about how a cardiac stress test can help protect your health, call Dr. Ahmet Sayan at Virgin Islands Orthopaedic & Medical Specialists. You can us in Saint Thomas, by calling (340) 714-2845, or in St. Croix, by calling (340) 692-5000, so call now.