Rheumatology is a medical specialty that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune and certain musculoskeletal disorders. These disorders affect bones, muscles, and joints, leading to inflammation, stiffness, and loss of range of motion. Dr. Mary Olsen at Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine offers a wide range of medical services, including rheumatology treatments. We have two convenient office locations in Saint Thomas, and St. Croix, to help you feel better.
What You Need to Know about Rheumatology
Your immune system is a complex part of your body that functions to protect you. In some people, the immune system doesn’t function properly, becoming overactive and attacking healthy organs and tissues.
Overactivity can lead to a wide variety of conditions that a rheumatologist treats. These conditions include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
If you are experiencing muscle and joint pain, don’t ignore it. If muscle and joint pain goes untreated, it can lead to muscle and joint damage, loss of flexibility, and disability. You should seek out a rheumatologist if you are experiencing:
- Muscle and joint pain that doesn’t go away
- Muscle and joint pain that is growing more severe
- Muscle and joint pain that is interfering with your quality of life
When you visit a rheumatologist, your doctor will perform a complete physical examination and record your medical history, including any history of autoimmune disorders in your family. Laboratory testing and imaging studies may also be ordered.
Depending on your condition, your doctor may recommend:
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medication to relieve swelling and pain
- Immune-suppressing medications to reduce inflammation
- Physical therapy to maintain flexibility and mobility
- Diet and lifestyle modifications to help you stay as healthy as possible
- Counseling to help you manage your symptoms
Call Our Doctor Today
Rheumatology services can help lessen the impact of autoimmune conditions, so you can live your best life. To learn more about rheumatology services, call Dr. Mary Olsen at Virgin Islands Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, with offices in Saint Thomas, and St. Croix. Call for more information at (340) 714-2845 for the office in St. Thomas and (340) 692-5000 for the office in St. Croix.